Old December 15th 04, 10:42 PM
John Carrier

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
John Carrier wrote:

According the diagrams, the F14A was superior in the 1.6+ regime. Of
course, by then the Eagull was about two miles in front in a drag race.
F-15 enjoyed a fairly significant PsubS anywhere one might choose to
fight
in the real world. Then again, nobody killed nobody with PsubS.

My thanks to you and Pechs. My question was based around the Iraqi bugout
Iran in DS, when F-15s were sometimes unable to close into AIM-7 range in
tail chase of Iraqis at high Q on the deck (I've seen claims of 700 kts
for
some, probably MiG-23s or Fitters, with F-15s firing AIM-7s at 650KCAS @
12,000 feet). Any opinions on whether the F-14 or F-15 had better
endurance
at say M1.2-1.4 @ ca. 12kft, once they accelerated to that speed? I
figure
the AIM-54 would give them a fair range advantage tail-on, but whether it
was
enough to overcome the slower accel due to the drag of carrying a couple,
don't know.

650??? I've had F-8's, F-4's and F-14's all faster. The Turkey is a
legitimate 800 knot airplane down low. As to 1.2-1.4 supersonic endurance,
the Turkey hands down. OTOH, Buffaloes are never a good weapon for fighter
vs fighter, even in a tail chase.

R / John