Old December 2nd 03, 01:33 PM
Snowbird

(Javier Gorordo) wrote in message om...
If anyone has experience with the Reiff's HotStrip Oil Sump Heater,
will appreciate any input as to its usefulness/performance.
Specifically, I wonder how well (how fast) this pair of 100W heater
strips can warm up a cold-soaked sump (8-qts) in an O-300 (open
hangar, assume low in the 20s overnight).
Plan is to rig it with a thermostat and an outdoor timer to have it
maintain a certain sump temperature, but figure that the ultimate
worst scenario will be to heat up from the 20s. Plane is in an open T
hangar.

Javier,

We have a combination of the Reiff oil sump heater and the
cylinder bands.

With the combination, it will warm from low 20s to mid 30s
in about 1/2 hr (ie not much more time than it takes us to
preflight, load the plane, and do a pit stop).

I can't answer as to how the oil sump alone would perform.

We've had the combo for about 5 yrs and are happy with it.

Best,
Sydney