Old May 5th 09, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Default Beginner questions about buying a sailplane...

On May 5, 9:39*am, vic20owner wrote:
No, I am not planning to buy anything for at least a year ... but I
have often wondered what other "hidden" expenses or obstacles there
are associated with buying a used glider.

I regularly see older planes in the $10K USD range (which is well
within my price range). * BUT, for future reference, what inspections
are required for the glider to be considered air worthy, and what else
should I know before considering such a purchase aside from obvious
structural damage or electrical problems? *How much damage should I
consider "normal wear and tear" such as delaminating wing tips, bent
rudder, etc which is a relatively easy repair versus something which
is major (wing struts, etc)?

Also, is there any specific paperwork (flight hours, maintenance
records, etc) I should insist on seeing, etc. *Is it common to pay
someone else to inspect the aircraft prior to purchase?

Lastly, are there any specific gliders one should avoid as a first
used glider? (such as homebuilt kit planes, etc)?

Thanks
-tom

Assuming you are in the Sates, you will need an annual inspection for
your glider. Depending on the condition this can range from $100 to
whatever it costs to remedy any discrepancies. Before writing out a
large check be sure to get a good pre-buy inspection by someone
knowlegable in the type of sailplane you are looking at. Make sure
that there are no outstanding pricy AD that have not been completed on
whatever you are looking at.

Good deals can be found. I got My Ka-6 for way below 10k in airworthy
status with a roadworthy trailer. It may not fe fast glass, but for
soaring in the Midwest it's hard to beat.

Pete