Old October 22nd 13, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default 21m tipped Lak 17b!

Sorry - tounge in cheek comment about the 29 - I'm English. The problem
with ASH 31 (not ASG 31) is the motor and too much wing area -it was
designed more as a recreational self launcher than a competitive ship

Looks like the JSIc will be the best bang for the buck if your serious
competing in both 18 and Open Class - the Lak 17b maybe for 15 and 18m?
(depending on what the Ventus 2 replacement will be like!- but that'll
probably cost a lot more)

The JS1C certainly seems competetive with the Quintus and EB29 which cost a
fair bit more - but your also paying for the ability to self launch I geuss
with the latter two.

But I like the concept of a ship that can be flown at 3 diffferent spans!
Did Vytas say it can be flown at 15, 18, and 21m?

At 18:36 21 October 2013, Sean F F2 wrote:
Paul,

I just got an email back from Vytas (owner of Lak factory). Here is his
st=
atement: "MAX mass remains 600 kg as 18 m class mass, as no space for
more=
water."

That makes sense to me. I think there is ZERO chance the ASG29 will ever
g=
et 21 meter tips OR 800kg max weight as its wing is simply not designed
for=
the loads (just like the 17b). Also, the 18 meter tips barely fit in

the
=
trailer. Makes me wonder how the Lak17b could fit all these wingtips in

=
trailer as well. Anyway, the requirement for a 21 meter single for
Schleic=
her has been fulfilled by the ASG 31. =20

Info on ASG31 ---
http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/p.../ash31/ash31_=
main_e.htm

The 31, as with most motor gliders, has too much wing loading in 18 meter
c=
onfiguration when flying in weak lift. It is better at 21 meters where

it
=
can go to 700 kg and 10.8 lbs/sqft wing loading (no, not 800!). Min wing
l=
oading looks to be about 8.82 (with a 200 lb pilot) in 18 meter and 8.09
in=
21 meter.

Hope this helps to answer your questions on the Schleicher's.

Sean=20

On Monday, October 21, 2013 1:20:15 PM UTC-4, Paul T wrote:
No specs on the website yet - but announced on Blanik America site and

in
=20
the article on the Mini Lak on their news pages about the tips.
=20
=20
=20
I'm presuming you can fly at 15. 18 and 21m with the same ship? Which

wi=
ll
=20
probably make it a popular ship in the US- and agree with Sean

bargai=
=20
and piloting points.
=20
=20
=20
Upping to 850 kg probably not on- but maybe around the 650-700kg mark?
=20
which would probably give it a similar wing loading to the JS1 with the
=20
smaller wing area.
=20
=20
=20
Now I wonder if the asg 29 is going to be tipped to 21m? (I know its a
=20
tipped 27! and they have the ASH 31).
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
At 16:36 21 October 2013, John Galloway wrote:
=20
You mean 850Kg? =20

=20

=20
If a 21m Lak 17B were to have a wing area similar to the=20

=20
12.25m2 of the JS1C 21m then at 850kg MAUW it would have a=20

=20
wingloading of over 69kg/m2! I am not sure where the water=20

=20
would go. With the JS1C 21m you need to fill the wings, the=20

=20
21m tips, have fuselage tanks full of water or fuel and a not too=20

=20
lightweight pilot to get to the MAUW 720kg and 59kg/m2

=20

=20
Furthermore an 21m Lak 17 is likely to have an even smaller=20

=20
wing area (and ?less water capacity) because the 18m Lak has=20

=20
a wing area of 10.32m2 compared to 11.21m2 for an 18m JS1.

=20

=20
John Galloway

=20

=20

=20

=20

=20
At 15:32 21 October 2013, Sean F F2 wrote:

=20
They need a strong US (or Canadian) pilot RACING the glider=20

=20
in US contests.

=20
Period.

=20

=20
The Uvalde and Euro pilots have not been top shelf. JS1 is=20

=20
better

=20
connected and has many top pilots flying their hardware in=20

=20
contrast. =20

=20

=20
I agree the 21 meter version needs to be at 850 if it is going=20

=20
to be

=20
seriously competitive at a world level BUT...in the US east=20

=20
coast contest

=20
environment it would probably be just fine if it was not able to=20

=20
achieve

=20
850.

=20

=20
I'll check and see what the specs say on the website...

=20

=20

=20