Old November 4th 13, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Claffey

Default 21m tipped Lak 17b!

I flew beside the two Lak17Bs at Uvalde.
In my opinion the ASG29 (thanks Al) I flew was better.
I am not an Aeronautical engineer but to my eye the winglet and
winglet/wing interface just looked wrong. Dr Maughmer or others could
probably fix that.
A 21M version at the right wing loading would be possibly good per $ but
the
EB29 will eat it up in weak weather and the JS1 eat it up everywhere else.
IMO
Tom

t 21:35 20 October 2013, Sean F F2 wrote:
Damn right it will be! =20

I finished 5th overall in a lak17a (that's right, lak17"A"!) this year at
1=
8m nationals. I am a very average, inexperienced and essentially new
conte=
st pilot. I seemed to keep up with 29's pretty well. I imagine the 17b
(w=
ith its ability to to up to 1300 gross weight) will be far, FAR more
"even"=
with the 29 that the 17a is. The 17a was initially designed as a 15m

and
=
is therefore limited to 1103 gross weight max.

http://www.ssa.org/ContestResults.asp?

contestId=3D2224&ContestDetailId=3D72=
39&ContestName=3D18+Meter+Nationals

From what I have heard, the 17b is far more advanced than the 17a in
almost=
all key aspects. The wing is entirely redesigned as 15/18 and not just
15=
with 18 extensions as an afterthought as the 17a was... The airfoils

are
=
similar to the Diana 2. So I think it will do extremely well in 18 meter
c=
ompetition when in the hands of a strong pilot. =20

In 15 meter configuration, the 17a is very good, similar to an ASW 27
which=
it was designed to beat. The 17b is almost certainly better 15 meter
conf=
iguration that the 17a with an entirely new wing winglets, new airfoils,

=
redesigned vertical stab, rudder and all new horizontal stab. =20

In 21 meter I suspect it will be very good (60:1, similar to the JS1)
other=
wise why would they bother? Will it compete with a Quintus or a
Concordia?=
I highly doubt it, but it would be a hell of a glider for the $$$...

Sincerely,

Sean Fidler
F2, Lak17a #114