Old November 6th 13, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default 21m tipped Lak 17b!

On Monday, November 4, 2013 4:34:41 PM UTC-6, Sean F (F2) wrote:
The 17b FES has a folding propeller system on its nose which, even though fairly slick, still has a few square inches of square structure in the airflow as well as two 18' propeller blades. This is especially disruptive when at higher speeds in flying locations such as Uvalde Texas. The FES version of the 17b should actually have a decent handicap for this reason, not a penalty over a pure glider as the US rules currently. The US handicap committee has not thought this one out very well in my opinion. The 17b FES should have a fairly decent handicap advantage over the pure version, not vice versa based purely on the gross weight.

I am not a direct player in the US Handicapping, but how would you explain this statement on the FES website:

"Idaflieg Flight performance testing of FES succesfully completed! It is confirmed that drag is like having installed bugwipers."

Link to report: http://idaflieg.wordpress.com/2012/0...rmessprojekte/

It won't impact me one way or the other, but maybe if you translated the article and showed them there is a small but measureable performce hit, they will adjust the HC of the FES version. Bug wipers not permitted in US Sports Class, of course.