Old May 10th 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 10:57:01 AM UTC-4, Paul Agnew wrote:
Very sad to read this tragic news this morning.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020/0...fatal.html?m=1

Comments (anonymous) on the webpage indicate kiting may have been a significant factor.

Sincere condolences to the family of the tow pilot and to the members of the club.

Paul Agnew
Jupiter, FL

Condolences to all involved.

While it is near impossible to engineer out all the potential for such an occurrence in towing there are things that should be done to all tow planes to mitigate these conditions. I'll not get into them but those who know me know what I think. While training is important, training should never take a back seat to giving the tow pilot every chance in the world to escape with his or her life.

Walt Connelly
Former tow pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot.