Old May 10th 20, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On the other end of the rope, we have a separate sign off for aero, winch and motor launch. For me, it would have been useful if there was an additional for CG which requires a specific test to verify an understanding of kiting.

(RAS is all about fixing the problem before we know what the problem is. It will be interesting to see what the NTSB says about this in terms of mitigations.)

Definitely a sad day.

I am not the most experienced tow pilot on this site but I do have 7000 tows under my belt. I have survived a couple of kiting incidents, one at about 350 feet and the student didn't release. Had the rope not broken I would have been dead, the Schweizer release and associated release handle were useless for a couple of reasons. I'll not elaborate, those who know me know what I have to say regarding this. As for RAX being all about fixing problems....SHIRLEY you jest and yes I called you Shirley.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow PIlot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot