Old May 15th 20, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Glider release failure?

Le vendredi 15 mai 2020 14:30:26 UTC+2, waremark a écritÂ*:
I was at the field when a glider could not release. The combination descended back to the airfield with the rope still attached at both ends and landed safely. I understand that if you want to descend with the rope attached the best way to control the descent is with the glider pilot carefully using the airbrakes.

If you want to land on tow, you descend with full airbrakes into the low tow position and keep the airbrakes fully open. The tow pilot is in charge of the approach/descent. It is essential that on short final, he remembers that there is a glider 5 or 7 meters below him...
That's how we teach this here in Switzerland. It's a quite useless exercise, but it's fun ;-)