Old May 16th 20, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Glider release failure?

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 12:35:18 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
... We turned away from the tug, but after a few seconds I thought I heard a loud
bang accompanied by a slight, transient vibration, but no nose movement. Pulled
the handle several more times.
...more stuff snipped ...
...similarity between that incident and ours was that each glider pilot pulled the
release handle, assumed the rope fell away but ended up with a rope break..

In my thousands of flights in a variety of sailplanes, front and back seat, I have *never* not seen the rope disconnect from the glider. I pull the release, observe the rope depart, then maneuver away from the towplane.

Normally, it's a right turn while reducing speed to look for the thermal. In a contest, it generally a left turn. Sometimes, I continue straight while watching the the towplane go away.

As an instructor, I've seen a number of pilots, experienced or not, who seem to automatically begin a turn at the same moment as pulling the release. WTF?!

As with nearly every other aspect of flying, there's always time for the OODA loop - observe–orient–decide–act. First loop is just before releasing to make sure it's safe to release, then the next loop is after pulling the release before making the turn, etc, etc, etc. Each loop may only take a second or two, but should always be happening.

If my release fails, then it fails and the tow continues as if nothing has happened because I'm waiting to see that rope go away. At that point, I'll begin troubleshooting while maintaining a normal tow position. I might try to put some slack in the rope, then pull. I might move to one side or the other and then pull to see if a side load will allow me to release. All this time, I'll be watching for the rope to go away.

If this fails, I'll discuss options with the tow pilot on the radio. Returning to the airport in a descent is probably the best option. Then while above an open area, have the tug release the rope, and then check to see I still have the rope. If I still have it, then I'll be prepared to expect my tire to run over the rope and possibly break it, or just make some noise....

I've done landings on tow and even touch and go while on tow, so that's also an option. But only if I know the tow pilot has done this, or I we can brief the process on the radio while descending.

5Z