Old June 3rd 20, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Many recent questions.....many recent answers.....

To answer you, you are just below the propwash, thus the glider controls work perfectly fine. If you get too high, you're in high tow.
If you get too low, the towplane still flies...as "UH" mentioned, several times many years ago (with prior pre tow discussion), we flew "really low tow" as in basically looking at the full belly of the towplane. It still flew but the rope angle was ugly.
Advantage was you still saw the towplane.
Too high, towplane disappears.....yep, sucks to be the towpilot then.....regardless of hitch type.

I have flown low tow through some rather rough (well, rough for where I fly) rotor, no issues other than busy/rough.

I will agree, a kiting situation gets real bad real fast regardless of high vs. low tow.