Old October 17th 20, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Wheel brake effectiveness standards

krasw wrote on 10/17/2020 6:50 AM:
I'm pretty sure that in some cerfification standard there is this specification: "pilot should be able to move some lever is the cockpit marked as wheel brake, and preferably hear scratching sound while pulling it, so that he feels like he is applying wheel brake. No decelaration is needed, however."

At least this is how they were made for decades, before someone invented hydraulic disc brakes.

You describe my experience with my Std Cirrus in the early '80s :^)

I am told owners now know much more about improving the braking ability and maintaining it. If
the OP opts for a Std Cirrus, he should contact other owners, and take their brake advice.