Old November 10th 20, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynew standard Features!

On 11/10/20 9:22 AM, Mike Schumann wrote:
On Tuesday, November 10, 2020 at 10:11:36 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 11/10/2020 7:31 AM:
On 11/10/20 6:14 AM, wrote:
So, to see a UAT equipped aircraft with a 1090 receiver you need to be close to an aircraft
with 1090 in/out. Most reliable way to do this is to put adsb 1090 in/out on your glider.

To be seen by that UAT equipped aircraft, same answer.

With adsb out on the glider and the flarm core 1090 rx, the only issue I'm seeing is latency
in the ground relay system.

It will be really neat if a flarm core s/w upgrade adds UAT rx, or turns on all of the h/w in
the box, especially the second flarm transmitter. Lacking that, instead of switching to a
new flarm box, would it be better to put the money into adsb out?

That said, if I was adding flarm, the new one looks nice.

If you have an experimental glider and a Trig transponder, it only costs around $400 to add a
TN-72 GPS and antenna. That gives you dual ADS-B Out. With the addition of a Stratux receiver
$150-250 depending upon whether you assemble it yourself or buy a preassembled and tested unit,
you get dual ADS-B In. I have that in my gyroplane. I use a TN-70 in the Stemme since it has
Standard certification.

Flarm receives the ADS-B signals and my ClearNav II and Flarmview display targets. In the gyro
I use an iPad with FlyQ. Works great in both!

How does the Stratux connect to CN II and Flarmview? I like the size of the Scout, but I think
it only works with Foreflight, which I don't use.

pingUSB is the same size as Scout, but works with almost all apps. Only downside is that it is a traffic only dual frequency ADS-B receiver (no weather). The cost is $175.

Thanks for that. The Stratux brings in weather and TFRs in addition to
traffic, maybe other stuff, but those are all I care about.

--
Dan
5J