Old November 19th 20, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynewstandard Features!

Moshe Braner wrote on 11/19/2020 9:31 AM:
On 11/19/2020 11:12 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 11/18/20 4:41 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
According to Flarm the New Fusion transmits and receives on both A and B Flarm Antennas.

http://www.craggyaero.com/fusion.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

That looks to me like you can buy a license to activate the "B" antenna. **Isn't that like
buying a license to active the passenger side seat belt in a car?* Or the rear brakes?

Maybe if you pay extra they'll sell you the feature where it keeps on working after the
firmware "expires"?* (As long as the data packets are still compatible.)

Dan: We have no choice about seat belts and brakes, which are mandated by law. Do you want to
go there with PowerFlarm? :^(

Dan: Buying a license for an optional feature (also known as "buying an optional feature") is
like buying the "primo" optional interior for your new car, except you can do it anytime, even
years after the purchase, unlike that fancy interior. Would you rather they included everything
that is now optional, and charged you for it, instead letting you pay for only what you need?

Moshe: They give me the updates FREE anytime I want one. I'm not going to whine about the 10
minutes it takes me to read the update instructions and load it into the glider. The present
system seems like a good compromise: all units are no more than 1 year behind in capability, at
no $ cost, and very little time and effort. As pilots, we are required to "update" our gliders
every year with an inspection, to "update" the pilot every two years with a flight review, to
keep our charts and database current yearly or less, to "update" our parachute every 180 days -
I think we should expect a pilot to also handle updating Flarm!