Old January 28th 21, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default GOAT ASW20

What is it they used to say? It ain't the dog in the fight, it's the
fight in the dog...

Dan

On 1/27/21 2:38 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 8:50:15 AM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 7:49:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Modern sailplanes have evolved through the years and many older have lasted the test of time. During the 1970's Schelicher produced what I call the, "Greatest Of All Time", the ASW20. Production began around 1977 and immediately sailplane pilots were joining the ranks of owning the sleek beautiful glider. The early models, incorporated a wonderful flap system that allowed the pilot to land in places that were usually out of reach for other sailplanes. Dragging that 20 in with those full landing flaps was truly impressive. Some had problems with the flaps, yes they were to be respected and if used improperly could and did result in deadly accidents.
There were over 900 ASW20's built including wing extension models know as the L. The early models were fantastic to fly, offering a floppy wing as we consider called it, which was impressive to watch during pull up from most any speed. Later models were changed to a lesser flap configuration and much stiffer wings.
In comparison, the other most competitive 15 meter ship was the LS3, which was released in 1976, total production numbers were 429. This was a great flying glider but lacked the success of the ASW20.
By comparison The ASW27 was released in 1997 with 237 produced units and the LS6 came along in 1983 with 375 produced units.
Having owned or flown all the mentioned gliders I would say that the ASW20 was the Greatest Of All Time and even today has survived the test of time, very gracefully I might add.
How would you rate the GOAT? Bob

I had two 20's, starting with an early one and then a 20C.
The 20 leaves little to be desired in terms of performance. handling, and ease of use. It also had some very good safety features including
a real wheel brake, energy absorbing gear, and a strong cockpit design. Safety was enhanced in the next generation by the cockpit structure of the '24 that won Waibel may awards and led the industry.
Others I would consider for GOAT:
Ka6 series. Wonderful flying characteristics and very good performance for the time.
SH Discus. Modern glass with excellent handing and performance. A glider that is both suitable for first single seater and good enough to be a glider for a lifetime.
Happy New Year to all
UH

Well, I rest my case, take a look at the OLC for 1-27, as of now the top of the list is an ASW20, 800 KM flown, 786.5 Km triangle. The 20 still can make the leaderboard, that was a very good flight, the triangle, the toughest of all. Bob