Old June 9th 21, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Fatal Glider Crash in Wurtsboro, New York

On 6/9/2021 11:19 AM, R wrote:
On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 8:46:37 AM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 3:04:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:41:30 PM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:12:12 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Can we get any details on the pilot, like age, currency, and number of hours PIC?

Boggs
64 years old. Not very current. Not known.
UH
What does "not very current" mean and how do these personal details relate to this accident?
Mr. Boggs and Mr. Nixon: What is your age, currency and PIC time? I assume you don't mind sharing.

"Not very current" means to me a low amount of recent flight activity. Almost always a factor that increases risk.
My info: 7700hrs in gliders (just under 13000 landings) 60 hours and about 100 landings in last 60 days. I did 20 tows
on the day of the accident at a site 11 miles away. Some info I have relayed is from other sources with knowledge I
trust.
UH

How many flights were UNPAID as a instructor? An approximate guess will suffice.

Now, that question does seem far from related to the accident, i.e, irrelevant. Basically,
anyone that's done a lot of soaring AND twice as many landings as flying hours has done a
huge amount of instruction, and totally deserves more than what he was paid.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"