Old May 23rd 16, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Glider rating to LSA rating

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 2:43:04 AM UTC-4, POPS wrote:
@gmail.com;925307 Wrote:
Get the self launch endorsement. As a sport pilot, and I assume you are
talking about in a LSA SEL, you re limited to 10000 MLS or 2500 AGL,
whichever is higher, period.

Ok so,
1. With a self-launch endorsement and all my glider flight time CAN I
legally fly LSA aircraft without getting the LSA licence. What about
Canada. I need to get through Canada to get to Alaska...

2. If #1 is true, then can I fly any LSA aircraft above 10,000 with a
SL glider rating only.

3. If I wish to get a LSA licence - for Canadian purposes say - and I
use my SL glider rating, is it just a form to fill out to get that LSA
licence, or do I need to do flight training with LSA instructors etc.

4. If #3 requires LSA flight training, is any SL glider/glider flight
time worth anything.

When I ask these questions to some LSA flight schools I get conflicting
and directly opposite responses all the way to : "gee I have no idea? "

Anyone out there that has actually gone from SL glider to flying LSA
aircraft?

Thanks for your post.

--
POPS

There is no LSA category in Canada...

From COPA news release:
quote
U.S. registered Light Sport Aircraft permitted in Canada
By Patrick Gilligan

A recent exemption by Transport Canada (TC) makes it more affordable and less onerous for Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) from the United States to be flown into Canada.
TC’s new Standardized Validation form puts LSA on equal footing with U.S. amateur-built aircraft flying into Canada. U.S. LSA owners simply have to download the Standardized Validation form found at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/ma...validation.htm , and follow other entry requirements such as customs, and fly. The $100 fee has been eliminated.
TC still requires U.S. pilots flying LSA aircraft in Canadian airspace to hold at least a private pilot certificate and a current FAA medical certificate.
unquote

You can read the whole thing on the COPA website at https://www.copanational.org/CAWMay10-1En.cfm