Old April 13th 18, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

Default Phoebus A as a first glider

At 03:05 13 April 2018, John Foster wrote:
What are your thoughts regarding the Phoebus A as a first glider for a
low-=
time pilot who received their training in a 2-33? I have the opportunity
t=
o acquire a Phoebus for a very good price from the club that I'm training
w=
ith, but it has not flown in over 15yrs. No one knows of any obvious
probl=
ems with it, but no one can say it is OK either. It does not come with a
t=
railer.

I wouldn't touch a glider that hadn't been flown for 15 years almost
regardless of type or price. There are too many things that could go wrong
when you try to return it to flying condition.

Especially as the first thing you will need to do is get a trailer. Even
if you can keep it hangared this will inhibit your attempts to go cross
country because of the difficulty of getting retrieved.

At the very least don't commit to it until it has been restored to flying
condition and flown. This will increase the price but will, I think, be
well worth it.

It might make a good project for a vintage glider enthusiast.

Chris