Old February 27th 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cuflyer

Default Tales of being distracted by scenery and/or euphoria while soaring

Oh, so -that's- what you were doing...
I think you beat me anyway.

1FL

Found myself backtracking at Cordele once because I got engrossed in looking at something on the ground. I wasted several minutes, lost altitude, and was going the wrong way when I remembered I was supposed to be racing.

Watching birds in thermals gets me sometimes. I'll get distracted watching them and end up wallowing around 99.9% stalled.

I could never race at Parowan. How could anyone go fast when the turnpoints are the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and all that other stuff out there? I'd be zipping along under a street at 11k' and next thing you know, I'd find myself landing out near Zion Park.