Old August 21st 14, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Pawnee 235 vs Cessna Bird Dog vs Maule as towplanes

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:36:40 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:18:10 AM UTC-5, Mike the Strike wrote:

Don't exclude the Cessna 175 from consideration. Mike

Only if is has at least the 180HP conversion with C/S prop. Or better yet, the 0-470 conversion (230 HP) with C/S Prop. The only real issue with the latter is the CG tends to be very far fowrard, and you can not use more than 2 of the 4 notches of flap for landing, or you will not have enough elevator power to slow down and the nose gear will be the first thing to contact the ground. Not a good way to land those things!

Have no data to help out relative to the others. My club operates a 182 and a 175 with the 0-470 conversion. Both are good at pulling gliders up even with the spoilers out.

Our field is all grass so we prefer taildraggers; in fact, all of the power planes on our field (2 club towplanes and 3 private planes) are taildraggers.

We're thinking of charging a landing fee for nosedraggers... ;^)

Kirk
66