View Single Post
Old January 6th 16, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Hethcoat
external usenet poster

Default Which sustainer system would you chose for your sailplane?

Anyone considering a jet (turbine) in their sailplane should read up on the R/C experience with these engines. I have not owned one personally, but I have read a lot about the experience. The big advantages are 1) power - they produce a huge amount of thrust 2) running reliability - once running, they rarely quit and 3) relatively low weight for the amount of thrust available. The disadvantages are 1) they are very inefficient and consume a huge amount of fuel very quickly 2) spool time - you have to think ahead of these engines since power will not be available the second you hit the throttle. This may be less of an issue in a glider vs. a R/C "rocket" with high wing loading :-)

Interesting that the critics of electric power always bring up the battery hazard issue. As if *gasoline* is not hazardous!!! Don't get Elon Musk started on that one :-) With a turbine you basically have a blowtorch installed in your aircraft! Not hazardous at all :-) There are *many* accounts of literal 'crash and burn' accidents with turbine powered R/C jets. In a crash, the high temperatures in the turbine mixed with spilled gasoline have predictable (firey) results! R/C jet owners have a fire extinguisher ready at all times.

The advantages of electric power have been well stated in this thread. The main disadvantages are weight, (relatively) low energy density and cost.

Personally, I think the future is electric. We've seen electric power almost completely displace gas on R/C fields. The advantages are just too compelling. The disadvantages lessen every year as newer, better technology comes online. There will always be a place for IC engines, but they are now becoming a niche in R/C flying, as I expect they will eventually in many other modes of transport.

Also interesting that we've been using the FES-style power arrangement in R/C self-launching gliders for many years now. It's really great to see it come online in the full-size community.

Gary Hethcoat
Northern California Soaring Association
(and long-time R/C pilot :-)