Old May 28th 20, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Private airport or small field for landout?

"Land in the dirt, you won't get hurt" has, so far, worked well for me.
Snip...

...So "land in the dirt and you won't get hurt" is again, a guideline, not
a rule. Lots of plowed fields are well plowed many are not.

Heh. There's a difference between plowed(-only) and plowed-n-disked. This
"Duh!" moment was driven home to me on short final when - approaching a
plowed-only field - I belatedly realized the plowed-n-disked one adjacent,
with its (barely visible) furrows slightly catty-corner to the minimal breeze,
was the considerably better one. Moments later the plowed-only field had its
biggest-yet clod standing atop it...the new King of Clods!

Good thing I was flying a 1-26...torn fabric is a lot easier to fix than
broken gear, fuselage or (youch) coccyx!

Bob - never seen Elvis - W.

---
https://www.avg.com