Old September 26th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default TE probe up or down?

On Sep 26, 12:57*pm, johngalloway wrote:
On 26 Sep, 20:13, "kirk.stant" wrote:

It's raining at the field today so here is a serious soaring question
to ponder:

Should the end of the TE probe on the fin point up or down?

Informal surveys at recent contests seem to show a slight preference
for up (not counting those "swingers" that go both ways).

I've heard all sorts of reasons why each orientation is best - angle
of attack during pull-ups, airflow in front of the tail, G-effects on
the air column, blah blah blah...

I point mine up so I don't snag it when taking off the tail dolly!

Comments?

Kirk
Wet in IL

From Rudy Brozel's classic article on total energy:

"The head of the probe should be as close as possible to the plane of
symmetry of the horizontal tail plane. The smaller the vertical
offset, the less the elevator affects the variometer. A vertical
distance over half the depth of the horizontal tail plane is very
bad!"

http://www.nadler.com/sn10/Brozel_TE...n_20020510.pdf

John Galloway

if I have mine up (which I prefer) it gets close to the plane the
pitot tube is in..................would that possible disrupt the flow
for the pitot?

Brad