Old August 26th 18, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Canopy opening in flight

Dan Marotta wrote on 8/26/2018 8:23 AM:
Well...* I once forgot to lock the canopy of my LAK-17a before takeoff. Three
hours and forty-five minutes into the flight I was casually looking about the
cockpit and noticed that it was unlocked.* I simply moved the levers to the
"locked" position and continued the flight.

On 8/26/2018 5:35 AM, Tom wrote:
Anyone know of an occurrence of a forward hinged canopy that opening in flight?
Any possibility of this happening if the forward hinged canopy was unlocked on a
flight?

My recall of several incidents (other people's) is the unlocked front hinged
canopies stay in place until there is something that disturbs it, like turbulence,
negative G, perhaps a side slip. When disturbed, they can pop open momentarily,
but sometimes completely.