Old November 17th 03, 05:25 AM
Gene Storey

"ArtKramr" wrote

I've used B-52, KC-135, Boeing 737, A-10 and LGM-30B simulators. Art is
right PC flight sims are computer games.

Tex

Thanks Tex. I am glad to see that someone around here is in touch with reality.

Not you two obviously...

I can take two people off the street into the 757 simulator; one who plays simulators,
and one who doesn't (both technical people). If I ask them both to set up the comm,
navigation, and take-off trim, only the simulator person has a clue.

While a pc simulator can be considered a game, the effect is more than that. The
user is developing skills that can be translated to any modern transport. Most can
easily get airborne (even with extreme weight and balance limits), while landing is
a bit harder, as they almost all want to be too fast with large inputs.

X-plane is probably my favorite, because you can have an instructor console,
and with four more PC's you can use 3 LCD projectors to provide the view
out the windows, and the instrument panel. Except for the lack of motion, it
is very good at getting a person up to speed for the full-motion simulator, and
not waste time with the bull**** level stuff.