Old June 6th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default would an AOA indicator be helpful in a glider?

Apologies for not re-titling this thread, but I've gotta second Kirk's
observation, and, generalize it to include (for example) landing flaps
and 'anything else abbie-normal.'

I haven't flown an AOA-equipped glider, but I'd sure like to. Meanwhile
since 1981 I've been flying a genyoowinely abbie-normal sailplane:
American racing glass (Strike 1!); w/o spoilers (Strike 2!!); and a
side-stick (Strike 3!!!) Oh yeah...while I'm at it, it never had a
chance at obtaining an approved (non-experimental) type certificate,
either. (You're not only out...you're outta the GAME!!!!)

Writ smilingly, with a rueful shake of the head, we pilots as a group
tend to be: a) relentlessly conservative/sheeplike in our 'common
wisdoms'; b) vocal in our (often not-factually-supported) opinions; and
c) 'too-often guilty' of passing off the latter as matters of fact.

Regards,
'Asbestos Bob' W.

Bob, did you make it to the Zuni Pow Wow in Moriarty?

The Zuni is a cool looking ship - check out the great photos on the
ASA homepage at http://asa-soaring.org/ - click on the pics for full
screen & enjoy a beautiful finish to a long flight by Randy Acree in
AV8!

Kirk