Old June 11th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Pressure Altitude in Loggers

On Jun 11, 3:47 pm, ContestID67 wrote:
So why do some loggers (i.e. Cambridge 302 - a flight computer) ask
you to set the barometric pressure much as we do with an altimeter?

Because it has an altimeter (actual altitude) display on the front
face. The pressure setting does not get logged in the IGC file, it's
only there so the pilot may use this instrument to augment the
mechanical altimeter, which may not be as easy to read as a digital
display.

Some flight software also has the capability of setting "Altitude" (i.e.
Glide Navigator II). Why is that?

When providing final glide info, GNII can be configured to either
provide altitude required, or differential altitude. For differential
altitude to be meaningful, the software must know your actual
altitude, corrected for local barometric pressure. And remember,
pressure changes over the course of a day, so be sure to get an
accurate altimeter setting for the home field just prior to making
that final glide. I've seen typical changes of 2-300', but sometimes
more.

-Tom