Old August 12th 04, 12:23 PM
Neil Gould

Hi,

Recently, Peter Duniho posted:

"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message
Actually, no. If you think about it, if you approach the numbers at
a ~30 deg angle, and a "proper" downwind to base turn is made at a
~45 deg angle, there will be no conflict whatsover.

How do you figure that? Firstly, the "45 degree key point" taught
students for where to turn base is just a rule of thumb...base turns
are made much earlier and much later than that, depending on factors
other than just following a rote procedure.

Secondly, the flight path of an airplane flying 90 degrees to the
runway heading on base intersects the flight path of an airplane
flying 30 degrees to the runway heading, heading straight for the
numbers. Since the flight paths intersect, there certainly IS a
potential for a conflict.

This thoery is correct, AFAICT. However, in practice that should get the
controller issuing such a clearance fired. I don't *ever* want to be on a
straight-in 5 mile final if other traffic is going to wind up on some
random variant of base at the same time. That said, There are many times
at controlled airports (and even more at uncontrolled airports) when there
are aircraft on base and final (and everywhere else) at the same time. The
controllers call out those positions and issue a clearance if the other
traffic is in sight. I've also had controllers call my base turn during
heavy traffic.

IOW, the controller's job is to insure spacing. As Jim hasn't mentioned
whether there was other traffic inbound or in the pattern, I'd think that
would be an important factor in whether he was right or wrong to be
off-center. If there was no traffic, there'd be no conflict and the
controller was just being manipulative. If there was traffic, and the
controller didn't call it out, that might be grounds for complaint. After
all is said and done, the FARs make it quite clear who the PIC is, and one
requirement is that they're in the cockpit.

Neil