Old February 21st 14, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider crash Feb 18 2014 Mount Mitchell, Marion, NC, USA

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:29:25 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
The video on this link may be disturbing to glider pilots. Cockpit area of glider in tree is shattered. You can read the article and not watch the video.

http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/feat...ll-15167.shtml

Pilot injured.

Excerpt from article:

Gary Banks, Yancey County Sheriff, "...I was told he was still attached to the plane that was pulling him."

Did the accident happen during aerotow? Was rotor a factor?

It could have been, but I'd be surprised. The winds were fairly mild for
wave conditions at Mt Mitchell (Jay and I do the weather forecasting for
the wave camp). I've flown in much stronger winds there. I do have to say,
one of my tows there was definitely Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! More likely,
he got caught in the "bowl" between the mountain and the next ridge downwind.
Jay is very experienced with the wave there -- he's been organizing the
camp for a number of years.

I hope he gets well soon.

Matt