Old January 7th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Absolute lowest altitude you can fly (legally)

Walt writes:

Nowadays my relationship with stars centers around my 12" Dob, but
every evening I still look up at the sky and think, "okay, which three
stars will give me the best fix".

And you actually did this in aircraft? I thought aircraft moved too
much for this sort of thing. Don't you have to sight them through a
sextant or similar instrument? Doesn't it bounce around a lot?

I've never learned astral navigation but I think it would be
interesting, even if it might not be practical very often these days.
I've always been fascinated by the SR-71 ANS, which would find and
lock onto stars even in broad daylight from the ground.