Old July 14th 03, 03:06 AM
phil hunt

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:29:49 +0100, NoHoverStop wrote:
"Kirk Stant" wrote in message

Nice HUD, though. Too bad HUDs are obsolete (see F-35).

Not yet. The Typhoon is in service (just). The F-22 is not yet in service
but it also has a HUD. Eventually HMD's may be good enough to do everything
you need a HUD for, but not yet. The JSF program has had to take some gutsy
risks with technology to keep the aircraft affordable. We'll see whether
this one pays off.

Why is a HMD better than a HUD?

Would love to see a real, unbiased (fat chance) comparison
of the two

I have. The Typhoon scored much higher.

Is this the DERA study?

Not that that will win any fights...except at airshows,
maybe.

To some extent it depends who it's (I suppose you still mean the Typhoon?)
fighting. It's brand-new, late and still has a lot of capability to be
cleared, but fundamentally it's better than the in-service competition.
Let's talk again when (if?) the F-22 gets into service.

So, if the Typhoon is used in combat, what's the most likely
adversary?

--
Phil
"If only sarcasm could overturn bureaucracies"