Old February 24th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joe Kultgen[_3_]

Default artificial horizon

"DavidH" wrote in
ups.com:

Playing "partial panel" games in conditions that are "marginal" VFR
is kissing the cobra. Sooner or later you will get bit. I'm not
trying to be insulting. I just don't need to read about another guy
who *almost* made it home safe.

Later,
Joe Kultgen

Joe
I don't disagree with any of your post.
I do have the instrument ticket
but no longer have the income that supported hiring IFR aircraft.
Now a retired old bloke who enjoys pottering the sky at 60knots
and who would still like to improve the "keeping the wings level"
information on my rag and tube flying machine.
thanks for your imput
sincere thanks that is
Davidh

You're welcome, and thanks for taking it in the spirit it was offered.

Back when I was actively aviating I was strictly a daylight VFR person.

From your comments I'm sure you've been around long enough to have heard
the old saw about how a non-pilot, who sits in a plane and fools with the
controls long enough, will convince himself that he can fly. I can't say
how much truth there is to that. With the exception of an occasional
homebuilder I doubt that many non-pilots find themselves in that
position.

What I can say from personal experience, and the accident stats back me
up, is that a VFR pilot flying a plane with an IFR panel is much more
likely to find himself in conditions he isn't prepared to cope with.
Having the extra information available *can* make things safer. You're
the only one who knows exactly what your current skill set is and if you
have the self discipline to avoid cutting your safety margin because now
you also have "plan B". For myself I can't help wondering how many
people would be alive today if they had only a simple panel instead of
all the info they needed to get to that smoking hole in the landscape.

Fly safe, Fly often,

Joe