Old December 21st 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fraser Wilson

Default SNEFA Artificial Horizon

At 16:07 19 December 2008, John Smith wrote:
nimbus wrote:

I am looking for any technical document related to the SNEFA Attitude
gyros.

Where in Eruope, could I let it maintain?

Your chances may improve if you spell it correctly: SFENA. :-)

SFENA was a major French avionics company and its horizons have had a
good reputation and have been very wide spread in France. I think
virtually every European avionics maintainer will be able to help you.

BTW, SFENA as a company does no longer exist. Its successor is Thales
Group http://www.thalesgroup.com/ (complicated story extremely
simplified).

The later SFENA pattern AH was adopted very widely and pretty much became
the baseline AH type fitted in Boeing, Airbus, and the USAF types. It's
production was licensed to BFG (JET Inc) in the US and others. Hence most
instruments shops in both the US and Europe will O/H them.
To get it O/H you have to take the instrument type code (normally
something like "AI 704" or "AI 801")and search through the instrument
shop capability listings until you find one that matches. However O/H,
testing and releasing it will be expensive......... a SFENA fresh from
O/H, with all the right paperwork, normally goes for around 10-15K$!