Old July 13th 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus CM starting problems

El lunes, 13 de julio de 2020, 0:09:49 (UTC-3), SoaringXCellence escribió:
Lucas,

When was the last time the power cables to the starter were replaced? Sometimes the cables start to have strands break inside the insulation due to flexing and vibration. This reduces the effective cross-section and increases the resistance.

Have you checked the cable fittings where they attach to the solenoid and the starter? If they are loose it can lead to arcing and overheating, again increasing resistance. If they are corroded they may not make good contact with the bolts where they mount to the starter or relay.

That's where I would start looking.

Mike Bamberg

Hi Mike! Thanks for your response. I´ve never changed the cables. I own the Ventus CM since 2017, don´t know if they were replaced before that (it was built in 1991)
What I am doing now is installing adicional cables, so I will duplicate the section. Te first test I did, I recover 1.5volt measured on the starter, so now, instead of 6volts, I have 7.5 volts on the starter. It seems to run faster... But I would like to know if this drop of voltage is normal or the problem is only mine.