Old July 7th 03, 07:46 PM
Mike Kanze

A plowback tour was the career kiss of death for a naval aviator. Does
anyone know a naval aviator who had a plowback instructor tour and later
screened for command? Practically 100% resigned as Lieutenants or LCDR
selectees.

I can't speak for more recent times, but during the late 1960s - early 1970s
a sizeable percentage of many NA and NFO classes was SERGRADed immediately.
The class ahead and behind one's own might all get fleet seats, with your
own class only getting two or three - or none at all. There are instances
of entire classes being stashed, especially in the NFO communities.

As best I can determine, this did not hurt (or help) anyone's career path -
it was just the way things were back then. Proof, if any more was needed,
that "needs of the service" are always paramount.

Owl sends.
--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

"Hey, it's a long way to victory over terrorists and we're barely out of the
driveway. So kids, stop asking, 'Are we there yet?'"

- Larry Mazur, Jr.

"Yofuri" wrote in message
A plowback tour was the career kiss of death for a naval aviator.

[rest snipped]