Old November 27th 18, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron (Sr)

Default Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

Hi Ben: I recently returned from Lithuania where I flew a modified LAK17B FES 18 meter that had been fitted with an upgraded FES battery system that allowed for self-launch. I also flew the MiniLAK FES, a self-launched 13.5 meter. Both gliders are flapped, and from 17 years experience with flapped and unflapped gliders, I would never buy an unflapped glider.

The LAK 17B FES launched easily from a relatively short paved strip, and was a joy to fly. My understanding from Vytas Maciulius, the Director of the LAK factory, is that LAK is working on a self-launching LAK17C FES. I don't know how soon it will be available, but I do know that FES battery packs with an extra 4 cells are now available, because Vytas gave me the option of adding one to the MiniLAK FES that I made a down payment on. Perhaps that might also be an option on the purchase of new LAK 17B. I don't know that for sure, but you certainly could find out. It would then become a self-launcher.
I've made only three flights in LAK gliders, so I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I was impressed enough with the gliders to purchase one. I thought the engineering of cockpit controls was exceptional (I'm comparing to my current LS-6), and my tour of the LAK factory convinced me that that a very high quality of craftsmanship prevails.
I've written an article on the trip and my experiences for an upcoming issue of Soaring, and I'd be happy to answer any questions that you might think to ask.
Matt Herron