Old January 16th 05, 07:41 PM
Jim Carriere

Ron Wanttaja wrote:
It would certainly need a definitive FAA ruling. I suspect the ruling would
depend on what pilot actions are required in the event one of the two engines
failed. The Skymaster has had problems with pilots *recognizing* that an engine
has quit... trying take off when the rear engine has quit on the taxi out, etc.
The FAA might institute a new multi-engine rating just to ensure pilots received
specific system training.

Another administrative option for the feds might be an SFAR for each
type of aircraft.

For example, the R22 helicopter is perceived to have uniquely
challenging handling in the event of an engine failure. Pilots of
that aircraft are specially required to have a certain amount of
extra training. This extra training is not required for any other
helicopters. It is a subtley different concept from a type rating,
but when you think about it quite similar.

Back to 2 engines 1 prop, if there are only two or three such unique
designs in service, this solution can properly address the issues.

PS-
Maybe I shouldn't judge, but takeing off in a Skymaster with a dead
rear engine is like an inadvertent gear up landing. Everybody makes
mistakes, but COME ON!