Old September 11th 10, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default Airplane prices are ridiculous

On Sep 11, 1:02*am, wrote:

No, you aren't digging into anything, you are just arm waving.

Incorrect

What is the price of a new 1970 Cessna 172 in 2010 dollars and the

2010
price for a Cessna 172?

You said this was trivial data.

Yes I realize this, but many old planes are now included
in the category.

No, there is not.

Few old airplanes meet the weight limit.

Incorrect

Yes and they aren't worth it, IMHO.

To you.

IMHO means "in my humble opinion",
FYI. (for your information)

No airplane has ever been built with the level of automattion of car makeing.

Incorrect. See...WWII. That's exactly what they did.

Since LSA is a new catagory, there are no old LSA airplanes

There are MANY old LSA planes, or planes which now fit into
that category and you know what?... the prices have now
gone up to fit the market demand.

Yeah, the price of the few old airplanes that meet LSA requirement has gone
up.

You just said "there are NO old LSA airplanes".

But most old airplanes don't meet the LSA standards.

I never said they did.

, but used ones
a couple of years old can be had you can fit into for around $80k.

Yes. Not worth it to the general public.

The general public doesn't care about airplanes or have any desire to own
one.

Find the matching word. (hint, starts with a "G")

1. general aviation
2. general public

Well, I wouldn't use the Cessna 162 "flycatcher" as
the gold standard. That is a perfect example of the rip-off
I'm discussing here.

"rip-off"?

Yes, a great big rip-off.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

No. I don't want one. I don't like high wing planes.
I like the piper sport, the arion lightning, the
MySky MS-1, etc.

In any case, that has nothing to do with the fact that the foreign airplanes
are not anywhere near the order of magnitude cheaper that you are whinning
about.

HUH? I'm the one that said foreign planes aren't cheaper,
and you've been saying they are. Make up your mind.

Then you must read about graphene, nano-technology,
supercapacitors and all the work that is being done in this
field. *It's only a matter of time.

No, it is a matter of basic physics.

It's a matter of atomics and combining the right
materials.

Absent Star Trek technology it is just not possible to achieve the energy
density of gasoline with stored electricity.

It's only a matter of time.

Electric transportation of any kind where you have to carry your

own energy
source is a toy unless you have an onboard nuclear reactor to provide the
electricity.

The Soviets and the U.S. have already tired nuclear flight.
It only works if you omitt the lead shield as the Russians
did. The Russians all died.

And that changes my statement how?

By virtue of the fact that it can't be done.

Better?

Yes symantically correct, but still out of sync with
the future.

Nope, in sync with reality.

Yes, today's reality.

Excuses are like belly buttons; eveyone has one.

a. it's not worth the price man.

To you.

Wrong. The reality that LSA's are overpriced is an
echoing theme all across the aviation community.

b. like the rest of the country I'm on a spending
* *freeze for all but the most exquisite bargain.

I'm thinking about buying a newer airplane.

I'm thinking about ****ing Pamela Anderson.

Except for the 1946 models, like this one:
http://www.global-air.com/global/g06219.htm

1946 is not after 1990.

Which...is why I haven't bought an Ercoupe. I'm really
not comfortable with possible hidden metal fatigue in
an antique plane, as I've already stated: Many of
us don't want to fly an antique.

--
Mark

--