Old October 22nd 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Default Mounties Electrocute Airline Passenger

Recently, S Green posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Recently, Montblack posted:

("Dan Luke" wrote)
Another argument against CP. Juries make mistakes.

More than 42K people die on our highways every year - society views
this as an acceptable loss.

There is no correlation between being killed during a self-elected
activity and being put to death by erroneous and/or malicious
prosecution.

I would like to see a couple of things:

1. Jury votes of 9-3 to convict.

2. An understanding that society has needs, too.

Have you ever served on a jury? I have, and frankly think that this
is a ludicrous suggestion.

If he had he would have seen the number of morons who end up on
juries. People make mistakes.

I see it a little differently... it's the morons that do all they can to
avoid jury duty. Those that serve are trying to make our system of justice
work as it was intended.

Many (if not most) issues presented to a jury are complex and require a
level of knowledge and experience just to comprehend them, much less to
correctly assess the guilt of the accused. When lawyers reject jurors for
cause that are capable of such understanding, I see it as malfeasance and
an attempt to undermine our system of justice. Yet, there is no punishment
for those actions. It's amazing that the system ever works right.

It would be quite entertaining to see Montblack squirm on the receiving
end of that process. My bet is that he would quickly want to reinstate the
other 3 opinions regarding his guilt. Indeed, society does have needs,
too. Unfortunately too many are willing to subvert those needs for their
own personal comfort or gain.

Neil