Old June 18th 14, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

Default Tail dolly hazard

Andy,

Being our soaring encampment at Lake Placid... I agree with you 100%. Your typical ground crew not paying attention. BTW, it wasn't that windy but no real excuse. You can't find me in the photo because I already took the first tow up and out of there... Not able to yell at everyone. :

Tim Hanke
Adirondack Soaring

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:36:24 PM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
The July issue of SSA Soaring magazine has a cover photo that shows at least 3 unattended gliders with the tail dolly left on. In Arizona you'd get an earfull for doing this as it puts any other glider within half a wing span at risk.

Maybe it doesn't matter at soaring sites where there are no thermals or wind gusts? Maybe it's only an issue if a wing wheel is being used?

Andy GY