Old April 9th 20, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What have we learned from all this?

Boy I have a different viewpoint.
And sometimes I have to kick it back towards the center court line...

Most daily deaths?
https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...state-by-state

In 2018, we were killing, by average, 3670 people DAILY in car wrecks in the US. I can't imagine we've cut that in half, but with the StayAtHome mandates, it likely has dropped this month.

That's a few more deaths than the ILLNESS chart which was touted.
And with the scrutiny of covid-19 infection confirmation and mortality reporting, no one cares/reports about counting car wrecks or shootings this month.

I imagine the flu rates have dropped, due to SAH. If we got around the single topic focus, which I view as our more serious disease, we would perhaps find that ALL transmittable illness is down this month.

I agree that SAH will flatten a Covid-19 transmission curve.
I agree that personal filters of any sort, on any percentage of folks, will lessen transmission of lots of things (TB anyone?). All transmissions will drop with social distancing, and hygenic improvements. Duh.

But I have a heel digging response to the guvmint telling the entire US population what to do. The sheeple response scares me. But I have been worried about our 'social training' since the 3 week stand down of civil aviation in 2001, and subsequent creation of DHS and TSA.

I have large worries about 6-7-8 million Americans going on unemployment from a government hugely upside down in cash flow. Never mind that my job evaporated, too.

I prefer to be told what the risks are, and be left to make my choices. I can drive sober, in good weather, at moderate speeds, no distractions, and will accept the risk of someone careening drunk across the median at me.

I don't see a huge difference in my exposure to TB, flu, covid, sars, avian Newcastle being worth crushing the world's economy.

Should this health issue cause us to rethink transportation? Communication? National manufacturing and local sustainability of food supply? Priorities?

Yes.

Am I an isolationist? Raving nationalist? Hopefully not in the negative connotation. Naive? Maybe, still a bit.
Hopeful that we'll return to 'normalcy' & soaring? You damn betcha.

But I've started my garden, just in case I'm not soaring in June.

Cindy