Old July 17th 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default 27 crash at Ely?

God bless Marek and his family. Condolences to all.

I am reading this and other related threads intensely.

I am a low time mountain pilot. Flying the Logan UT, mountain Soaring and OLC camp last August was my first mountain Soaring.

I was encouraged to fly dual with another more seasoned pilot, before flying on my own, which I did. We spent most of a day Soaring the area both flying off the mountains as well as valley thermals.

It was a great experience. I appreciated the opportunity to learn.

I'd like to do some more mountain dual. The USA mountain Soaring and OLC camp was a great experience. Where, in the U.S. can I get more of the same?

I think the only other actual mountain Soaring training in the U.S. is Minden?

I am interested in any additional mountain training or dual experience I can get as a fledgling cross country pilot.

Maybe there should be more mountain flying camps in the U.S. In certain areas of Europe mountain flying and training seems to be much more prevalent.

I continue to read these threads with great interest. I am setting very conservative mountain flying standards for myself.
Keep airspeed up.
Figure 8 only until well above the ridge
Be alert and ready for turbulence or upsets.
Listen to local knowledable pilots and seek their advice before flying.

Mike - 1M