Old April 5th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

Default Global Warming The debbil made me do it

On 2008-04-05, Alan wrote:
And, isn't the SUV like driving a C-210 around when the Zodiac would do
the job?

Yes (though mine's a small SUV, so it's more like a 182). The problem is
that I can only have one vehicle. If I needed to fly a 182 for some missions
but not others, I'd be buying a 182.

As for the electric car, let me once again use those two magic words:
"mission profile". I'll consider one when I can get one that will go 400
miles on a charge, while hauling four people and a substantial amount of
stuff, and recharge in 10 minutes so I can go 400 more. My current vehicle
will do that quite easily, and I bought it because I need that capability.

Do all of your trips need that? How many days do you go less than 80 to 100
miles in the day? If you had a car that did that, and was fully fueled every
morning (without stopping at the pumps), wouldn't that be useful?

Sure it'd be useful. The problem is that we don't have a three-car garage.

Now, it wouldn't be *that* useful: the majority of my trips need at least
125 miles range with reserve for traffic, hauling me and luggage, and it
doesn't take much for that number to go up to 175 or so.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)