Old February 20th 19, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

Default LX Nav Varios, Bluetooth & XCSoar

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 6:29:16 AM UTC+13, SAM wrote:
I'm interested in connecting LX Nav varions (EOS or ERA) to XCSoar via bluetooth.

From the manuals, xcsoar config screens, and old posts here it looks like that *should* be possible.
Does anyone have experience doing it?
I've got XCSoar on a couple android phones and a nexxxus 7 tablet.
Simply providing vario data via bluetooth would be the primary need. Ability to feed flarm or other data would be a bonus.

Thanks!

Hi Sam,

It is definitely possible and XCSoar provides a number of drivers to get everything talking nicely once BT is paired. The weakest link in the chain is the Android o/s (earlier versions are worse). If there is ever a problem or a delay in pairing, then Android remembers this as a "bad" connection and won't pair with the BT device. To fix it you have to clear the BT cache and pair from scratch again. I flew with a V7 (now S7), BT module and Galaxy S3, then used a Kobo Mini e-reader with HC05 BT module. In the end I removed the LX Nav BT module and went with a hard connection (to a Boox Onyx) via a IOIO box, though I know others who have never had any BT problems and swear by them.
Many problems in life come down to trying to get Box A talking to Box B. Sometimes the boxes are people

Cheers
DH
TX