Old May 13th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
WaltBJ

Default The Swedish Model: How to build a jet fighter.

On May 13, 7:49 am, Douglas Eagleson
wrote:
SNIP:
One identified expected maneuver shoudl be debated as an EXACT thing.
What is a proper defense in a dogfight against this canard maneuver?
All US aircraft will loss the challenging aircraft. Visual sighting
will be lost and attacker likely becomes defender.

What next? What should a US pilot do? I would recommend a scene
recover, escape the scene and recover a visual sights. So if the
canard stall turns, the US pilot should already have in mind what to
do. He should point the nose straight up and at 10000 feet level off
and recover the lost aircraft sighting.

A performance box for low altitude fighting is not present in US
fighters.

SNIP:

Sir, you have said enough in the above excerpt to convince me that you
know very little about air combat maneuvering.
As Ed has repeatedly said, a single fighter ina combat arena should
imediately depart for home. As for speed in a dive,
All our fighters since the F100 have the ability to exceed their
structural limits in a full power vertical dive. I know of a case
wherein an F104A came apart at approximately 1300 EAS after the pilt
lost conscious at some 70,000 feet in full afterburner. For us, then
flying F104As, the fast that it lasted that long was very encouraging
in that we knew the airplane could far exceed its flight manual red
line of 710KIAS. Thus we had a 'combat limit' well above 710, said
limit depending on that pilot's cojones.
Let me state that capability in ACM depends upon pilot experience,
both total and current. A man can be fully knowledgable concerning ACM
but if he is not current the requirement to observe, analyze and
effect the next maneuver takes time which will not be available if his
opponent is equally knowledgeable and fully current.
Again, aerial combat 1v1 occurs in movies, not in real life, If it
does occur it is the result of mistakes on both parties.
If two pilots meet a single pilot minus the element of surprise, tha
single pilot will have to be very fortunate to survive the encounter
unless he can escape somehow. The two can phase their maneuvers so he
is always on the defensive; the only way he can attack is if one of
the two makes a mistake.
I flew one of the most maneuverable fighters in the inventory for some
six years, the F102 delta. Down on the deck it was unbeatable - until
it ran out of fuel. One could always avoid being tracked by guns, but
despite being bale to pull 6 G at 300, 3 at 200, the afterburner
would run you ought iof gas in about 5-7 minutes and then what?. The
poor old deuce could not outrun the other fighters then in the
inventory.
What the previous statement leads to is that superiority in one style
of maneuver does not mean that aircraft can bet every other aircraft
in the world. What it does mean is that an intelligent opponent will
avoid a situation where that particular maneuver would be
advantageous. "You maximize your advantage and minimize the oppo's
advantage - in other words, fight your fight, not his."
Finally your comment that the pilot should disengage and zoom up to
10,000 displays your lack of knowledge of current fighter performance.
In 1967 I flew a service aircraft that could perform a loop on takeoff
- and go over the top at 50,000 feet. granted, the loop was loose, but
the nose was raised gently all through the initial climb. That same
aircraft, first flown in 1954, with its later engine replacing the old
model, would exceed Mach 1 in military power in level flight. How did
we use that airplane in ACM? Loose Deuce/Double attack, or as I
explained it to our new guys, Fluid Four without thr wingmen. Maintain
very high indicated airspeed, shoot at any angle off as long as the
sight, ranging in radar, could track him, and go vertical when it
couldn't and reposition as your partner stepped in to keep the target
occupied.
..
Would would that Cobra maneuver for the SU30's crew do if the wingman
was lagging? On a stationary target the attacker's gun has a much
longer effective range than one fleeing at say transsonic speeds.