Old August 22nd 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Pawnee 235 vs Cessna Bird Dog vs Maule as towplanes

Not the rile the conservative feathers of the tow plane experts, but I wonder if anyone in the USA has a scenario where a combination tow plane motor-glider trainer like the Phoenix makes sense? http://www.phoenixairusa.com/Specifications.php

I believe it has a bigger engine option if you need the pull for towing.

I wonder how it compares to the traditional big iron choices if you fairly consider all of the variables. Would it make sense if a club used it as a backup tow plane and otherwise used it for training (including XC training!). You might get some income from renting it by the hour. It might make sense for a private hobby-commercial glider port in a remote area with few customers and an owner with other reasons for owning a commuter plane.