Old June 6th 05, 10:44 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Robin Birch wrote:

In message , F.L. Whiteley
writes
Stefan wrote:

309 wrote:

All of the aruguing aside, can anybody out there tell me a little of
the history of QNH, QFE, and QNE (etc.), specifically, WHAT does the
"Q" stand for??? The "F"? The "N", the "H" or the "E"???

Nothing. It's just a code, the Q-code, to be precise :-) Maybe the Q has
a story, I don't know, but the latter two letters definitely do not.
Think of it as a numbered set of commonly used phrases.

A complete list of all Q-codes is at http://www.htc.ch/de/der_Q_code.htm
(German only).

Stefan

Don't forget the Z codes.

http://groups.msn.com/ctoseadogs/34z34signals.msnw

Frank

They are all simple codes originally sent by morse. If you look at the
whole list there are loads of things to do with radio comms as well as
the various things to do with aerial navigation.

They are widely used in amateur radio as well as in flying.

Robin

Quite right. One may send quite a complex message using a few Q & Z
signals, text, and numbers.

Frank