Old February 18th 04, 03:12 AM
Travis Marlatte

Double ditto.

I want fluid oil running all over those freezing cold engine parts. Whether
engine clearances are reduced when cold or not, metal on metal with no
lubricant can't be good.

I would not expect catastrophic failure. Just reduced engine life. Next time
I see some poor soul at the side of the road with a smoking engine, I'm
gonna think - cold engine starts.

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
well, I've done the no-preheat thing on a 30 degree day and the prop
didn't spin all that fast (barely started). With a preheat on a
20 degree day the prop spins a lot faster. Preheating does something
for my engine.

Ditto that.

We've got the oil pan and cylinder heaters, and a cowl blanket. Pre-heat,
and the thing pops right over. Don't pre-heat, and it cranks like an old
meat grinder.

Which sounds like a friction thing to me. And I guess I always assumed

that
friction was a bad thing inside an engine.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA