Old February 12th 04, 09:38 AM
Lars Peder Hansen

Janos' recommendations are good, with one exception:
- discuss common signaling method between winch driver and pilots (at
our site: too slow use ailerons, too fast use rudder)

At my home field (and throughout Denmark), we use:
Too slow: Lower nose somewhat, signal with rudder.
Too fast: Signal with ailerons.
When too slow (and maybe with too high AOA for the speed), aileron
deflections that might get one wing above critical AOA is the last thing we
want, right?

Anyway, be 100% sure what signals to use! -As we see, they can differ from
site to site.
What do the rest of you winchers use for signalling out there?

Happy Soaring,
Lars Peder
Mosquito W6, Denmark.

"Janos Bauer" wrote in message
There are a lot of articles about this issue, but here are the main rules:

- take special care about the first 50m!!!
- don't climb too steep, keep the speed high enough to react cable
break/winch failure.
- always be prepared for cable break/winch failure, decide what to do on
different altitudes BEFORE take-off!!
- always release cable in case of emergency, several pilots landed with
cable
- winch driver also should cut the cable without hesitation in case of
emergency
- discuss common signaling method between winch driver and pilots (at
our site: too slow use ailerons, too fast use rudder)
- clear airspace before launch
- check weather situation (lightning!)

Have fun

/Janos

Frank Smith wrote:
We are getting close to getting our first winch operation going and need

develop some Ops and Procedures.
I hate starting with a "blank page"
Anybody have some Ops and Procedures to send my way to get started?

Regards,
Frank

My return address is slightly modified to reduce SPAM.