Old January 3rd 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Headwind? What's that...?

David Lesher wrote:
I flew MHT-BWI on Southwest yesterday...

We were making no better than 270 knots groundspeed. I guess the Cap't
was not BS'ing us about a stiff headwind at ~33,000...

Any slower & we'd have to gotten out & pushed...

I had no luck with headwinds over the holidays. On the 20th I was flying
from southern NM back home to Phoenix and averaged 85 Kts. Same trip the
following week, winds on the ground were right in my face 270@25G38. By the
time I reached my (low) cruising alitude, the best I could do was 75 kts. The
usual 2.2 hr flight took 3.7 hrs. Any worse and I would have run out of gas
and daylight before getting home.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)